Grilling pizza has never been easier! The raised rail design of GrillGrates provides the perfect platform to grill pizza and the GrateTool makes it easy to handle and rotate for perfect searing and crispy crust. Here are a couple of tips to grilling great pizza with GrillGrates:
- Keep your grill temperature under control at or below 400F. This allows you to grill pizza long enough (10 minutes +) to thoroughly cook the the toppings and melt the cheese without blackening or charring the crust. The key is how long you can grill pizza, not how hot and fast- unless you like black bottom crust.
- Use Olive Oil on the bottom side of the pizza crust. The olive oil helps the crust get super crispy. Even add a bit of seasoning to the oiled crust for more flavor!
- Quarter turn the pizza after 3-5 minutes. Using the GrateTool slightly lift and peek at the crust and see the crust is searing and browning. Rotate 45 degrees when the sear marks are golden brown.
- Watch Searing on Bottom of the Crust. If sear marks are black- you are grilling too hot and at risk of blackening the crust. Reduce heat. The sear marks are a great guide to determine your grill’s best temperature for grilling great pizza. My gas charbroil is set on LOW, but the GrillGrate temperature is still 450F when the dome says 350F.
- Lower and Slower is Better with Grilled Pizza because it gives you time to fully cook toppings to a golden brown too. Think bubbly brown cheese!
- Use MamaMary’s Gourmet Pizza Crusts. They are partially baked, find them in the deli section of your supermarket or at Walmart. They are fabulous on GrillGrates!
GrillGrates makes grilling pizza a snap! Pizza is a super platform for all types of grilled pies- even fruit, dessert pizzas and breakfast pizzas! And don’t forget left-over pizzas, BBQ pizzas, white pizzas. The GrillGrate website has dozens of grilled pizza recipes- let us hear yours!